Many homeowners ask “What paint should I use to paint my kitchen?” When renovating their kitchens, the short answer is oil-based enamel trim paint. There are many oil-based paints available, so how do you choose the right one? Continue reading to find out more about the best paints for particle board.
It is not an easy job to paint kitchen cabinets. St. Pete Home Painters can help you get a free estimate online.
A DIY job is different from a professional one. Our experts have some tips to help you make your particle board cabinets look amazing.
You can only paint cabinets professionally with an HVLP (or airless) paint sprayer.
- Do not underestimate the amount of time required to prepare your cabinets properly. Preparing the cabinets for painting will generally take between 2 and 4 times as long. These include sanding and cleaning them.
- To make it easier to install, label the cabinet doors after you remove them.
- Wood filler and wood caulk can be used to fill holes, gouges, and wide seams.
- Cabinet painting is only possible with the right primer. It is important to ensure that the primer you use matches the paint you are using.
- Before you paint, make sure that the primer has had enough time to cure.
- An oil-based enamel paint is the best choice for painting particle board cabinets. A paint sheen that is higher in gloss is easier to clean. High-gloss cabinets are not popular so we use semi-gloss and satin sheens.
- This paint is also known as trim paint. A paint is even available that can be used on kitchen cabinets by some companies.
- Oil-based paints are less durable and easier to clean, but they have a stronger smell. This is especially important for kitchen cabinets, as they can withstand hot, humid, dirty, and even greasy conditions.
- To properly paint cabinets, you need a clean, organized, and well-lit workspace. You’ll struggle to see the imperfections in cabinets if the light is dim. If you spend too much time searching for tools, than actually using them, it will lead you to frustration. Before any work begins, prepare your painting area.
- Instead of spraying the cabinet doors flat, attach small hooks to the doors and hang them from racks. This will allow you spray all sides without having to handle them. To hang the cabinets while they dry, set up a second rack.
- Paint the backs of your cabinets first. This will make it so that mistakes won’t show up on the front.
- Spraying cabinet made of particle board is the best way for a factory-like finish. A paint sprayer is a complex machine that requires special equipment and extensive experience. You will need a designated spray area for spraying your cabinets because there is always excess spray.
- Spraying cabinets frames and bases that cannot be removed from the kitchen requires a lot of masking. It’s better to paint cabinet frames and bases with a brush than a roller. Brush marks on the bases and frames of cabinet doors shouldn’t be an issue since they take up most of the space in the kitchen.
- Professionals use either HVLP (high volume low pressure) or airless sprayers. Both are good tools for experienced operators, but we prefer airless sprayers. The best paint sprayer is the one that siphons paint directly from the bucket. This increases efficiency. They can spray more paint, but they will also have more paint waste.
- Use a paint sprayer to match the tip size to spray the paint. If possible, use a smaller tip. You will get a smoother finish with smaller paint tips that atomize paint better.
- Before you start, make sure that your equipment is properly set up and that you practice with a scrap piece of wood.
- Do not apply more than one coat of thick paint. Instead, fogging or misting the cabinet doors with paint is a better option. You’ll have more paint waste but a better finish.
- Never stop spraying! Ever!
Let our experts handle it
Professional equipment is required if you want cabinets that look professional. Professional paint sprayers can be expensive and require years of experience.
This post was written by a professional at St.Pete Home Painters. St.Pete Home Painters can create an indoor space that feels personal by choosing the right paint colors. A room can feel larger if it is filled with light, fresh colors. A warm tone can create a warm atmosphere. You can update your decor using trendy colors or a neutral tone to create a stylish backdrop. The interior painting Saint Petersburg FL professionals at St.Pete Home Painters will help you, call us now!